Tony,

can Drupal consume json data easily? You probably can use Struts as
some kind of "data layer" which delivers only json data.
You might want to look at Quercus:
http://quercus.caucho.com/

Quercus is a Java implementation of PHP. It might serve Drupal, and
this way you might have a chance to access Java Klasses from PHP.
But you will still loose JSP et al - this would be a php domain then.

If using Quercus I can only recommend using the whole Resin server...
while Quercus might run on other servers, it is a bit pita to get it
running there.

Cheers
Christian

--