I believe I've found the culprit.
While the problem is present in commit
https://github.com/mmalmeida/struts-performance/commit/aba93098174c8c8c1684ffdd9bf332b212a893a
 , it's not present in the latest commit if you turn devMode to false.

The issue was the freemarker version 2.3.9 in that commit. Updating to
2.3.19 makes performance normal again (the complete project needed
freemarker, hence the direct dependency reference in the pom).

While I don't know what changed between these freemarker versions,
apparently the problem was there.

Miguel Almeida