First or later your data will send through the application server, in this
case struts could help you.
Maybe the rest and json plugins are the best candidate for your use case.
Since struts2 is able to handle json and rest architecture, every js client
library and every related tutorial could help you.

http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/json-plugin.html
http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/rest-plugin.html

Twitter     :http://www.twitter.com/m_cucchiara
G+          :https://plus.google.com/107903711540963855921