Websphere is notorious for its poor logging support. I used Websphere for
about 5 years. The server exposes Commons Logging in the parent class
loader so it's already configured -- and not configurable by you. That was
my experience, at least. I think you should google "Websphere Struts
Logging" and see what you find. It's a battle but I think you'll be able to
solve it.

Cheers,
Paul