Hi,

I have been stumped by the following problem: newlines within text received
from an html form show up in the form ”\r\n” in our Struts 2 -based
application. I am wondering how this is possible because I have verified the
following:

1) The system is running on OS X or Linux, so the OS default newline is ”\n”.

2) The Java virtual machine reports ”\n” as its newline character
(System.getProperty(”line.separator”)) when running the Struts 2 -application
in a debugger.

3) When inspecting the form text in a browser debugger, the text shows newlines
in the form ”\n” just before the form is submitted. I double-checked this by
inspecting the actual character code values.

4) When I set a breakpoint to the bean-setter of the corresponding action in
the Struts 2 application and let the form submission from the browser be
executed, the setter receives the form text as a String-parameter where the
newlines have become ”\r\n”.

What can be the reason for this? The form submission mechanism (something on
the browser-side or in Tomcat) or the way Struts 2 handles form parameters
before feeding them to the action? I want to get rid of these extra carriage
returns but would very much like to find some other way than writing special
code (such as a custom parameter interceptor) for reverting the text back to
its original form...

-Heikki