Just my two cents, you can avoid the lookup by using a JPQL UPDATE query.
If used to update a single record you avoid the lookup. If versioning is an
issue this may not be ideal (still you could manually set the version),
also if you expect to reuse objects you lose the ability to proxy, if those
are not issues... there is no reason not to do this.