Many thanks to Bill and Partha for your suggestions.

I used the javascript (2nd) technique because I am currently more
familiar with it. It is now working. :)

Cheers

Richard

If you use redirect to the payment url, the data in the form is in the
session in your site and not the external site where it is needed. So
redirect or forward will not help.

Try splitting up this work-flow into two steps:
1.      in the first one you write the action class and save the stuff into
database and then forward to a page where a hidden form is recreated
using
the same values as the first one,
2.      in the "body onload" of this page, submit the form to the external
url.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Partha