On 9/18/2017 7:35 PM, Phillips, Bruce A wrote:
> We still have a couple of web apps that are using Struts version 2.3.32
>
> We want to update those web apps to the latest version of Struts but I’m not
> sure what version to update to.
>
> I see a 2.5.13 and a 2.3.34 – both tags seem to be recently created.
>
> Should I update to 2.5.13 or should I stay on the 2.3.X line?
>
> Why are there different production tags (2.5.X and 2.3.X) ?

Because The 2.5.x series introduced some breaking changes, so the
development is now branching, as 2.3.x is still supported. Basically we
backport some security fixes to 2.3.x without breaking things.

So you can update to 2.3.34 without any needed change but you will not
get any further bug fixes but only security fixes. But if you update to
2.5.13, then you need to do a few migration steps at [1], and then you
will get future both security and bug fixes.

I recommend updating to 2.5.13 as I already test [1] on our app and all
of our JMeter functional tests pass in it also.

Hope this helps.

[1] https://struts.apache.org/docs/struts-23-to-25-migration.html