Leandro Melo wrote:

Hi,
for how long will an Action be in memory?
Here's the point.

I have a situation where the user register his/her
company in my application. He/she uses a wizard of 4
jsp pages, as he/she submits one, he/she is redirected
to the other one. In this situation i keep a reference
of my Stateful session ejb in HttpSession so the 4
Actions can reference them to complete the wizard.
This is pretty much fine to me.

BUT..., now i'm facing a new question. I have a
similar situation where the user can submit the page
more than one time, and it is always the SAME aciton
the will handle this request. It's a search page, so
the user can search once, search again, search even
more, and it always the same action the will handel
this (behind the scenes a i got a business POJO that
implements the ValueListHandler pattern). For this
case i also have a Statefull session ejb that
maintains a reference to my business POJO (the one
that implements the valueListHandler). Obviously, this
Statefull sesison ejb is accessed by this one Action
that i've been talking about.
My question is:
In the first situation i mentioned, i had to save a
reference to my Stateful session ejb in HttpSession
because 4 action would need that reference. But what
should i do for the last situation?? Only one Action
will handle the user requests, so can i ASSUME that
this Action will still be in memory for next requests
and consequently this Action will still have a
reference to my my Statefull Session ejb (naturally,
this reference would be a member of the action).??
For how long???

Don't forget that the action is not specific to one user / session / connection. Think about the case of 2, or 100 users all doing a search. If this is a statefull session ejb you're using I doubt holding a reference in the action is really what you want to do, unless I've misunderstood your situation here.

Brett Connor