supposedly the mapping class looks at Key_xxx and Element_xxx inside
Class-conversion*.properties

 This {@link ObjectTypeDeterminer} looks at the
<b>Class-conversion.properties</b> for entries that indicated what
 * objects are contained within Maps and Collections. For Collections, such as
Lists, the element is specified using the
 * pattern <b>Element_xxx</b>, where xxx is the field name of the collection
property in your action or object. For
 * Maps, both the key and the value may be specified by using the pattern
 * respectively.

in your fuBar Class
fuBar-conversion.properties would look like

# syntax: <type> = <converterClassName>
java.lang.Double = com.acme.MyDouble

    /**
     * Determines the element class by looking for the value of @Element
annotation for the given
     * class.
     * If no annotation is found, the element class is determined by using the
generic parametrics.
     *
     * As fallback, it determines the key class by looking for the value of
Element_${property} in the properties
     * file for the given class. Also looks for the deprecated
Collection_${property}
     *
     * @param parentClass the Class which contains as a property the Map or
Collection we are finding the key for.
     * @param property    the property of the Map or Collection for the given
parent class
     * @see
com.opensymphony.xwork2.conversion.ObjectTypeDeterminer#getElementClass(Class,
String, Object)
     */
    public Class getElementClass(Class parentClass, String property, Object
key) {
        Element annotation = getAnnotation(parentClass, property,
Element.class);

        if (annotation != null) {
            return annotation.value();
        }
//departure of getClass passing parentClass property and objectIsElement bool
        Class clazz = getClass(parentClass, property, true);

        if (clazz != null) {
            return clazz;
        }

        clazz = (Class) xworkConverter.getConverter(parentClass, ELEMENT_PREFIX
+ property);

        if (clazz == null) {
            clazz = (Class) xworkConverter
                    .getConverter(parentClass, DEPRECATED_ELEMENT_PREFIX +
property);

            if (clazz != null) {
                LOG.info("The Collection_xxx pattern for collection type
conversion is deprecated. Please use Element_xxx!");
        return clazz;
}

as you can see there is no conversion to String in getClass below
    /**
     * Returns the class for the given field via generic type check.
     *
     * @param parentClass the Class which contains as a property the Map or
Collection we are finding the key for.
     * @param property    the property of the Map or Collection for the given
parent class
     * @param element     <tt>true for indexed types and Maps.
     * @return Class of the specified field.
     */
    private Class getClass(Class parentClass, String property, boolean element)
{
        try {
            Field field = reflectionProvider.getField(parentClass, property);

            Type genericType = null;

            // Check fields first
            if (field != null) {
                genericType = field.getGenericType();
            }

            // Try to get ParameterType from setter method
            if (genericType == null || !(genericType instanceof
ParameterizedType)) {
                try {
                    Method setter =
reflectionProvider.getSetMethod(parentClass, property);
                    genericType = setter.getGenericParameterTypes()[0];
                }
                catch (ReflectionException ognle) {
                    ; // ignore
                }
                catch (IntrospectionException ie) {
                    ; // ignore

            // Try to get ReturnType from getter method
            if (genericType == null || !(genericType instanceof
ParameterizedType)) {
                try {
                    Method getter =
reflectionProvider.getGetMethod(parentClass, property);
                    genericType = getter.getGenericReturnType();
                }
                catch (ReflectionException ognle) {
                    ; // ignore
                }
                catch (IntrospectionException ie) {
                    ; // ignore

            if (genericType instanceof ParameterizedType) {

                ParameterizedType type = (ParameterizedType) genericType;

                int index = (element &&
type.getRawType().toString().contains(Map.class.getName())) ? 1 : 0;

                Type resultType = type.getActualTypeArguments()[index];

                if ( resultType instanceof ParameterizedType) {
                    return (Class) ((ParameterizedType)
resultType).getRawType();
                }
                return (Class) resultType;

            }
        } catch (Exception e) {
            if ( LOG.isDebugEnabled()) {
                LOG.debug("Error while retrieving generic property class for
property=" + property, e);
        return null;

of course any/all values passed thru HTTP GET are "passed as String" ...is this
what you're seeing with WireShark?

M-