Erez Efrati wrote:

Hi all,

Until now I've been using Struts 1.1 with JSP1.2/JSTL 1.0 with the use
of JSTL EL extension for Struts tags.
Html-el etc..
Now I'd like to move on and take advantage of the JSP2.0 and JST1.1 new
features.
I am running with JBoss 3.2.5 + Tomcat 5.0.

Any special steps? Do I need to download JSTL 1.1 by myself ?

Thanks in advance,

Erez

Don't know about the JBoss side of things. But I'm using Tomcat 5.0+JSP2.0/JSTL1.1

I guess this question is going to come again too... :)

I think the main points are:

1. change the web.xml declaration to have

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";
version="2.4">

So that it uses Servlet 2.4 + JSP2.0

2. Tag-libs: no longer need to be specified in the web.xml, so you can remove those entries
You don't use the struts-el tags, as EL is provided by the container.
In the JSP you include the taglibs for example:

/WEB-INF/jsp/include/prelude.jspf:

<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core";
%><%@ taglib prefix="fmt" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/fmt";
%><%@ taglib prefix="fn" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/functions";
%><%@ taglib prefix="html" uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/tags-html";
%><%@ taglib prefix="logic" uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/tags-logic";
%><%@ taglib prefix="bean" uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/tags-bean";
%><%@ taglib prefix="tiles" uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/tags-tiles";
%><%@ taglib prefix="nested" uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/tags-nested";
%><%@ taglib prefix="display" uri="http://displaytag.sf.net";
%>

I think that is all that is required, there is an optional step 3:
3. Read the JSP2.0 spec for the newweb.xml <jsp-config> option for controlling JSPs
Which allows things like those tag-libs above to be included on every JSP page
eg

   <jsp-config>
   <jsp-property-group>
       <description>JSP Configuration</description>
       <display-name>JSPConfiguration</display-name>
       <url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
       <!-- no scriplets, only taglibs can be used -->
       <scripting-invalid>true</scripting-invalid>
       <page-encoding>UTF-8</page-encoding>
       <include-prelude>/WEB-INF/jsp/include/prelude.jspf</include-prelude>
       <include-coda>/WEB-INF/jsp/include/coda.jspf</include-coda>
   </jsp-property-group>
   </jsp-config>

Let me know if I missed anything...

--