I think the main reasons are

a. You can start using JSF with existing apps and not have to rewrite apps that may have been written with struts.
b. That you can use tiles as your templating mechanism, while using your JSF forms.

So far I've only been using JSF and struts separately, but I'm starting to come around to the idea of using them together as a way of moving toward JSF but without bleeding.

Mark