I need to secure my login page only, just to prevent the username/password
from being picked up.

What is the quickest and dirtiest way to do this?

I was thinking of something along the line of checking in my login.jsp for
request.isSecure() and then response.redirect()ing to https, but my login
form is on a tile in the middle of a layout and it gagged on my doing a
response.redirect in the middle of a <tiles:insert .../>

I've been told it doesn't have to be smart enough to prevent a user from
taking the "s" out of the "https" on the url.  Oh, and I can't use:
    <user-data-constraint>
    </user-data-constraint>
b/c I was told the server (of which I have no control over) doesn't support
it.

Your help is much appreciated!