I am re-posting the problem we are facing, as I did not get any reponse on this from
the group.

We are new to Struts and experimenting with a simple Login screen using Struts 1.2.4
with JBoss 4.0 and J2SDK 1.4.2.

The problem that we are facing is - we are unable to display any
error messages on the Login screen (login.jsp), in case the user does
not enter any data in the Login ID and/or password fields and clicks
on the Submit button.

The validate() method has been activated. Part-code of this method in
the extended ActionForm is shown:

ActionMessage msg = null;
if (getLoginID() == null || getLoginID().length() < 1)
{
msg = new ActionMessage("errors.loginID.required");
errors.add(ActionMessages.GLOBAL_MESSAGE, msg);
}
if (getPassword() == null || getPassword().length() < 1)
{
msg = new ActionMessage("errors.password.required");
errors.add(ActionMessages.GLOBAL_MESSAGE, msg);
}
return errors;

We have tried displaying the error messages in login.jsp (part-code)
with (and with no success):

<%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-html"; prefix="html" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-logic"; prefix="logic" %>
<L1><bean:write name="error"/></L1>

OR

<%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-html"; prefix="html" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-logic"; prefix="logic" %>
<logic:messagesPresent>
<UL>
<L1><bean:write name="error"/></L1>
</UL>
</logic:messagesPresent>

Please note if we use: <html:errors />
in login.jsp then we are able to display the errors! We want to do the same without

The web.xml located in the WEB-INF folder of our application does not
have any <taglib> tags (as required by version 1.2.4)

The struts-config.xml in the WEB-INF folder of our application has
the line:

<message-resources parameter="LoginMessageResources" null="false" />

The contents of LoginMessageResources.properties located in the WEB-
INF\classes folder of our application has:

# Errors
errors.loginID.required=LoginID cannot be blank
errors.password.required=Password cannot be blank

Could anyone point out the problem?

All help most appreciated.