A good place to start is checkout the struts source from cvs.

Setup a project that follows the maven ways

/project/project.xml
/project/project.properties
/project/maven.xml
/project/src/java
/project/src/webapp
/project/src/webapp/WEB-INF
/project/src/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml

Define you dependencies in project.xml and then run maven war

When you get the hang of things you'll see you can distribute your resources in a more custom way, but this will get you going.

The webapp directory is the standard directory for the war resources. You can change it like other properties in project.properties but I'd start with little and add things as you need.

Mark