I rephrased the subject of this posting.  The old one was really wrong.

Hi,
I'm building an application using DispatchAction.  I have several screens that use the
same ActionForm and I set validate to "true" for this action form.
The first page of my app is just a jsp with a single button ( I have to start
somewhere :) .  When I click the button on this first page which is not the form and
has no input fields, I guess Struts tries to validate it.  What I see in the log is
that I do get into the validate method, the validation fails and the action itself is
not performed.  How can I tell struts to not validate this first page but validate
other screens where there are input fields.  Since I use dispatch action I can't
specify validate "false" for some actions and "true" for the others, it's just one
validate...
That brings me to the next question.  Should I use DispatchAction?
Thanks for your help.
NK