To add to the list:

5. the validator-rules.xml and validation.xml must be
in the AppName/WEB-INF directory.
6. Make sure that there is a proper version of the
commons-validator.jar file.
7. there is <font color=”red”><html:errors/></font> in
the .jsp to turn on the validation and to show warning
messages in red
8. validation plug-in in the struts-config.xml;

-Caroline

=== message truncated ===