We use displaytag and it is dynamite.  It is fast and has lots of
features.  I haven't written one single TABLE since discovering it.  It
even allows you to specify a message to display when the list is empty;
saves you from having to put that logic in the page.

ValueList looked a bit more complex to use and there was so much vocal
support in the community for displaytag that we went that route.

-Chris