One issue to beware of is a JSF restriction related to
RequestDispatcher.include() -- which is what Tiles uses under the
covers.  Each included Tile has to be nested in an <f:subview> tag
(either in the surrounding page, or inside each Tile).  In the
"example2" sample app, I put these in the layout because it was easier
-- but they need to be one place or the other.  Do you have them in
your app?

I would tend to make sure your app works with the standard Struts and
Struts-Faces environment (the way example2 does) before inserting
struts-chain into the mix.  Otherwise, you're totally on the bleeding
edge trying to get this all integrated (since struts-chain is still
quite experimental itself) -- although I'll happily cheer from the
sidelines and apply any reasonable patches that you come up with :-).

Craig

PS:  The posts to "layout.faces" are an artifact of what JSF thinks
the view identifier is when it is processing the form component.
TilesFacesRequestProcessor (in the standard struts-faces library)
handles this correctly by specializing some of the behavior as
compared to FacesRequestProcessor.  I suspect you'll need to end up
with a specialized version of the standard servlet-chain for this to
work.  It would be ideal if we could come up with one chain that would
"just work" for Tiles and non-Tiles and JSF and non-JSF use cases ...
but it wouldn't bother me to supply multiple "standard" chain
definitions and made picking the right chain easy to configure.