From: Craig McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 5:25 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: non-standard attributes in taglib

I can appreciate your feelings on this ... but IMHO the proposed cure
is worse than the disease.  Allowing an open-ended mechanism like this
abandons any hope of using an IDE to catch typos in attribute names,
and just encourages the use of non-standard features of *all* browsers
instead of just IE.

You've also got to solve a technical issue of how to easily represent
this in the JSP source code in order to make the solution work.  I'd
hate to see us have to go back to scriptlets and runtime just for
this.

> I would have to agree that supporting a propietary attributes would go against the
> spirit of open source.  On the other hand saying that you have to maintain your own
> copy of the code does not do open source much good either.  I believe a little
> flexability in handling the attributes is in order.  Remember that not everyone has
> the ability to just throw away all vendor-specific items and go completely standard.
>  Honestly, the largest culprite here is time and money.  Of course we don't have
> enough of either.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don Kichline

The option to take advantage of one of the liberties that open source
provides you -- the ability to modify the code for your own use --
might still be a practical option.  Who knows ... there might be
enough other users with the same needs to support a SourceForge
project around such a forked tag library.

Side technical note -- if you decide to go this way, one other
possibility would be to mandate JSP 2.0, so that you can use the new
SimpleTag API to create tags that themselves accept arbitrary
attributes ... then it's up to your tag implementation to decide what
to do with them.

An orthogonal issue that is important to your decision making
processing is that the current Struts HTML tags are basically
considered legacy by the Struts developers, and are unlikely to
receive a lot of attention other than refactoring them a little so
they can be released separately from the Struts core, and perhaps
fixing a few bugs along the way.  I would think twice about committing
to new development, especially for large scale or long term projects,
based on them -- whether or not they included the extra attributes for
IE-specific behaviors.

Craig