Hmmmm.

Don't suppose you've tried building the Validator on the HP-UX machine?

I'd be curious if it worked packaged up if you did that.

You've obviously found something that is both subtle and significant in
terms of a problem (jar extraction is pretty darn basic!).  I assume the Win
and HP-UX boxes are using the same JDK's and Servlet Containers?