Uday,

I'm afraid you maybe mistaken on at least one of your points.  At least the
HTML taglib makes sure that all values are filtered to prevent cross-site
scripting by parsing <> and other characters.  Here is a code snippet from
(I think) the nightly build.  I'm not sure about versions before Struts
v1.2.X variants:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/struts/trunk/src/share/org/apache/struts/t
aglib/html/BaseFieldTag.java?rev=54929&view=auto

 /**
     * Return the given value as a formatted <code>String</code>.  This
     * implementation escapes potentially harmful HTML characters.
     *
     * @param value The value to be formatted. <code>null</code> values will
     * be returned as the empty String "".
     *
     * @throws JspException if a JSP exception has occurred
     *
     * @since Struts 1.2
     */
    protected String formatValue(Object value) throws JspException {
        if (value == null) {
            return "";
        }

        return TagUtils.getInstance().filter(value.toString());
    }

Perhaps you should upgrade your Struts deployment to avoid duplicating work
for yourself. (IMHO)

Regards,
David