There is a "validate" attribute to the "action" element in struts-config.xml. You set it to true or false.

http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/dev_validator.html

Erik

t t wrote:

How can I turn off validator? THanks.
--- t t <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Or I can set a parameter before executing the added
action.
--- t t <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi, Erik,
I got an idea. I can insert another action before
the actual action be executed. And use javascript
change a hidden property before executing the

added

action, then  I can do what i want to do in the
added action. What do you think? I will try it
later.
Thanks for your help!
Tong

Erik Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
JavaScript can change the action URL on the fly.

For

example:

http://www.willmaster.com/possibilities/archives/wmp20030527001.shtml

However, I'm not sure how compatible this type of
thing will be with the Struts form tag. I've never tried it. I'm

surprised

others aren't speaking up because the "multiple submit" problem
comes up a lot. If you search the archives for "multiple submit buttons"
you might find other ideas.

Erik

t t wrote:

Hi,Erik,
I think that helps. I have another question.

Besides the "action" attribute in html:form, is
anywhere else we can specify another "action"
corresponding the submission of javascript?

Thanks.
Tong

Erik Weber wrote:
There may be other ways or better ways, but one

thing you could do is

vary the action URL. You could have the same

action

class serving

slightly different action mappings, some with

validation set to true and

some with validation set to false.

I did what you are trying to do in a non-Struts

Servlet app, and there I

just used a query string parameter to indicate

which type of submit was

happening (but I didn't have to worry about

getting

past the validator).

Remember that JavaScript can change the value of

field (including a

hidden field) before it submits the form.

Also, another technique for conditionally using

the

validator is to turn

automatic form validation off, override the

validate method in your

ActionForm, but there simply invoke the validator

manually just as

Struts would have done with automatic validation.

This gives you a

chance to insert a switch before invoking the

validator.

Probably there are others on the list who know a

lot more about this

than me and might have a better idea. Hope that

helps.

Erik

t t wrote:

The problem is, when the form is submitted, it

will be validated according to the validator. then
error will occur since the user didn't intend to
submit and he/she didn't fill other required

fields.

And in my "acion" program, I don't know how to

tell whether it was submitted by "javascript" or

by

the "submit" button.

Any idea about that?
Thanks.

t t wrote:

Thank you for the hint. I will try.
Erik Weber wrote:I don't know exactly how do it

using JavaScript. However, I know there's

a way to do it. But, you'd have to have all list

data downloaded to the

client's browser (could be undesirable depending

on list size), so you

may want to rethink that approach once you

figure

out how to do it.

Obviously it can be done using ordinary

programming on the server side

(JavaScript can resubmit the page when the first

select's value is

changed, and you can change the collection to be

displayed in the second

select before you resend the HTML).

Erik

t t wrote:

Hi, all,
I have two html:select as below:

labelProperty="label"/>

labelProperty="label"/>

when user choose item2 from s1, I want to

change

the collection in s2

from "c2" to "itemC". How can I do that?

Thanks in advance!
Tong

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.

www.yahoo.com