Thanks, David.  Great doable ideas!

I have a couple questions...

Where is the best place to put server side validation?
 I think that's a substep of either "Author Business
Services" or "Author Actions".

Same question about client-side validation.

Do you think Bugzilla is more of a QA- or a Team-
option?

I'm a little hesitant to put source control as an
option although it is certainly necessary when you
have a team.  I'd hate to be without it as a solo
developer either.  I guess it would be less optional
if it was less work to setup.  Do you have many small
projects where it would slow you down if you used it?

Is "adding authentication with JAAS, SecurityFilter,
roles.." a separate step or do you do it by changing
how you code some of the other files?

Dan