Scott, this problem can happen when you are trying to forward to a non-existent location. For example, you would see this problem if the path specified in the <forward name="success" path="/submit.jsp"/> was invalid.

However, looking at your struts-config.xml I do not see any errors.

I would first check that your Struts config is not throwing any errors when it is read in (check the Tomcat console for this). Then, I would get out the debugger.

(P.S. Just a matter of style here -- by convention, package names typically use the reverse of your company's web address; so your action's fully-qualified name would be something like 'com.vertisinc.SubmitAction')

-Bill Siggelkow

Scott Purcell wrote:
Hello,
I am just getting underway with struts and found an example here: http://javaboutique.internet.com/tutorials/Struts/
I have completely followed the directions and I can get the initial form to display the data that comes from the ActionForm bean. "Hansen".
But after I hit the submit, I just get a blank page. I have double, triple checked all config settings, but cannot figure out where the problem is. The Tomcat console does not show any error, and there appears to be no error anywhere. Problem is, it just does not display the submit.jsp page back with updated results.
If anyone has ideas, please let me know. Especially if there is a way to find any type of log from Tomcat. I cannot find any type of output from the app.
Thanks,
Scott
Here are my files:
my webapp is called "firststrut"
The classes are in package "com"
The file structure is correct
/WEB-INF/classes/com
package com;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import org.apache.struts.action.*;
public final class SubmitAction extends Action {
public ActionForward perform(ActionMapping mapping,
ActionForm form,
HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response) {
System.out.println("SubmitAction extends Action class ######");
SubmitForm f = (SubmitForm) form; // get the form bean
// and take the last name value
String lastName = f.getLastName(); // Translate the name to upper case //and save it in the request object request.setAttribute("lastName", lastName.toUpperCase());
// Forward control to the specified success target
return (mapping.findForward("success"));
/WEB-INF/classes/com
package com;
import org.apache.struts.action.*;
public final class SubmitForm extends ActionForm {
/* Last Name */
private String lastName = "AMF"; // default value
public String getLastName() {
System.out.println("Getting last name");
return (this.lastName);
}
public void setLastName(String lastName) {
this.lastName = lastName;
}
/* Address */
private String address = "1313 Mockingbird Lane";
public String getAddress() {
return (this.address);
}
public void setAddress(String address) {
this.address = address;
}
/* Sex */
private String sex = null;
public String getSex() {
return (this.sex);
}
public void setSex(String sex) {
this.sex = sex;
}
/* Married status */
private String married = null;
public String getMarried() {
return (this.married);
}
public void setMarried(String married) {
this.married = married;
}
/* Age */
private String age = null;
public String getAge() {
return (this.age);
}
public void setAge(String age) {
this.age = age;

web.xml
<!DOCTYPE web-app
" http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd";>
<web-app>
<!-- Standard Action Servlet Configuration (with debugging) -->
<servlet>
<servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
</servlet-class>
<init-param>
<param-name>application</param-name>
<param-value>ApplicationResources</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>config</param-name>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>debug</param-name>
<param-value>2</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>detail</param-name>
<param-value>2</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>validate</param-name>
<param-value>true</param-value>
</init-param>
<load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
</servlet>
<!-- Standard Action Servlet Mapping -->
<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>
<!-- Struts Tag Library Descriptors -->
<taglib>
<taglib-uri>/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld</taglib-uri>
<taglib-location>/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld</taglib-location>
</taglib>
<taglib>
<taglib-uri>/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld</taglib-uri>
<taglib-location>/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld</taglib-location>
</taglib>
<taglib>
<taglib-uri>/WEB-INF/struts-logic.tld</taglib-uri>
<taglib-location>/WEB-INF/struts-logic.tld</taglib-location>
</taglib>
</web-app>

struts-config.xml
<!DOCTYPE struts-config PUBLIC
"-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration 1.0//EN"
" http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/dtds/struts-config_1_0.dtd";>
<struts-config>
<!-- ========== Form Bean Definitions ================= -->
<form-beans>
<form-bean name="submitForm"
type="com.SubmitForm"/>
</form-beans>
<!-- ========== Action Mapping Definitions ============ -->
<action-mappings>
<action path="/submit"
type="com.SubmitAction"
name="submitForm"
input="/submit.jsp"
scope="request">
</action-mappings>
</struts-config>

Scott K Purcell | Developer | VERTIS | 555 Washington Ave. 4th Floor | St. Louis, MO 63101 | 314.588.0720 Ext:1320 | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.vertisinc.com <http://www.vertisinc.com/>

Vertis is the premier provider of targeted advertising, media, and marketing services that drive consumers to marketers more effectively.