But I want to be able to accept an "empty" value and just reject whitespace. That is, I don't want whitespace to be accepted as a vaid value -- it should be either empty or contain a valid (non-all-whitespace) value.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Germuska" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2004 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: Want to reject all-whitespace text input.

The "required" validator should do what you need. It requires that the value be non-null and have at length > 0 after String.trim() is called.

Joe

At 1:22 PM +0000 11/21/04, Frank Burns wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to write a regular expression for a mask, for use in the validation.xml file, that will reject input text that consists of all whitespace characters. But, no matter what pattern I try, an all-whitespace entry is always accepted.

Is there some strange rule, as part of the Validator's validation process, that always accepts whitespace? Or is there something else going on?

Do I have to resort to accepting the all-whitespace input, detecting it in the ActionForm's validate method and manually setting a message in ActionErrors?

Thanks,

Frank.

Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Narrow minds are weapons made for mass destruction" -The Ex