----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank W. Zammetti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: WAR based project layout vs Sun J2SE blueprint layout

In the one or two instances were I had page developers and business logic developers separate, it was a fairly simple approach... Everyone checked the appropriate files out of source control each morning (page developers got JSPs, back-end develoeprs got Java files) and both teams got the latest copies of each. At the end of the day, they checked things back in, and I was responsible each night for pushing that day's "build" out onto the test server so everyone could see it all together. It really was as simple a model as that, but it worked out very well.

In the end, the exploded form doesn't really make much different vs. a WAR file as far as source control goes. I don't think many people put archives into source control, so in essence what's in source control is already in exploded form. It's eliminating the packaging step is all.

We keep things in VC in exploded form ... and the app server actually explodes the archives when it deploys them, but we do deploy an archive to the server (really shouldn't matter what happens from there. It tries to lie to you by creating directories named exactly after your archive - including the .ear/.war extensions).

So far as what we keep in VC. There's been some talk about building an EAR to stuff into VC with each major release. There's merit to that. You don't even have to checkout/build the application to deploy it. Just check it out of VC and hand it to the implementation team that deploys those apps. Even my team lead could do this. He's a smart guy, but a Java web app developer he ain't ;-) WE love him none the less ;-)

I keep trying to imagine a circumstance where the application could become corrupt and the backup EAR would be necessary. I can't think of one. I should investigate how WSAS does things more clearly, but, if the running copy of the app does somehow get corrupt, it seems to me it should still have the archive, and just killing the "working directory" for the application should cause a repopulation. 'course, it could just delete the archive after it's installed itself too :-) which is probably what it does ... in which case the EAR in VC could serve a useful purpose one day ... probably be a really cold day in a really hot place, but it could happen!

Night ;-)

Eddie

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Corey Scott wrote:
We do the same as Eddie, with 1 exception.  Our test server (really
only for clients and a good point of reference) runs CruiseControl, I
find that this takes care of the hassle of keeping the client/test
copy up-to-date.   It also allows the developers to have complete
freedom in their testing/debugging without disturbing anyone else and
more importantly the client.

I do have one question though, I am lucky enough (also unlucky enough)
to have web designers for the JSPs and while the original ones are
generated by programmers the designers come along after that.  In the
exploded war approach mentioned by Craig, how do you ensure that the
designers work isnt lost and make sure its under source control
properly.  At the moment this is my major headache, as the designers
are not great with technical things and mostly they use Dreamweaver
exclusively.

Thanks,
Corey