----- Original Message ----- From: "Kinjal Sonpal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 1:03 AM
Subject: RE: Automatic logging

On the other hand, I don't find it all that burdensome to
establish a
static log instance for each class and toss around a few
log.debug(...) lines, especially when I'm working on figuring out
someone elses ill-documented code!

Hmm.. It appears to me that there are no frequently used or established patterns for my requirements. May be I should also divert my efforts into the same directions as mentioned by you. Can you or someone suggest something for my requirements? My experience with struts is relatively intermediate and we do not have any Tech. consultants or Architects for my project.

Yeah ... each catch block put in something that tells you that you had an exception, gives you the state of things that may have caused the exception, and prints a stack trace :-) It's nice to include context information about where the logging is coming from. Using something like commons-logging + log4j -- or just log4j, if you don't care about ever changing -- works well for this.

You're welcome and good luck ;-)

Eddie Bush

Thanks and Regards,
Kinjal Sonpal
"In the real world, the right thing never happens in the right place
at the right time. It is the task of journalists and historians to
rectify this error."
--Mark Twain

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0449-0, 11/30/2004 Tested on: 12/1/2004 5:33:42 AM avast! - copyright (c) 2000-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com