On Wednesday 01 December 2004 08:36, Joe Germuska wrote:
> Ultimately, this is the responsibility of the commons-validator
> library which Struts uses.  For each config file, a
> "ValidatorResources" object is constructed.  This object uses
> commons-digester to process the XML config.
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/validator/src/share/org/a
>pache/commons/validator/ValidatorResources.java?view=markup
>
> This object exposes no way to turn off validation, but it does make
> use of Digester's facility for registering DTDs against copies in the
> classpath.  If your file uses one of the DTDs listed in
> the"registrations" array in ValidatorResources (see source at above
> URL) then you won't have any problem.  From a brief glance, I wonder
> if some new registrations need to be added?  If you have time to
> check, perhaps you could file a bug against commons-validator at
> http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla
>
> For the near term, the suggestion of specifying an alternate local
> URL for the DTD is probably best.

I had the same problem last week, and the simplest solution is to make sure
you have the latest commons-validator jar.  1.1.3 validates properly against
the DTD in the jar file, rather than needing to go to the web.

(But thanks for the more detailed explanation of _why_ going to 1.1.3 worked
for me, Joe)
--
derek