hihi,

yea i also keep images on the fileserver.  it's nice and simple.  as
many others have said already, all that needs to go to the database is
any meta info about the image you require and any other info needed to
construct the image link for display.

no need for any servlet image<-->blob business.  when you need to
deploy or redeploy, just zip up the the images folder or just war the
whole thing and away you go.  can't get simpler than that.

i have also found websphere to be slower than tomcat.  it's not as
zippity as tomcat.  i'm willing to bet that it's because websphere has
a lot of @[EMAIL PROTECTED]@$&@% code in it.

woodchuck