Michael Klaene <mklaene 'at' yahoo.com> writes:

> 3.)I know that some databases, Oracle, and I hear the newest version
> of MySQL support UTF-8. I've no experience in this area. Does anyone
> have experience with storing text in UTF-8 in the database? This
> *seems* like it could be an ideal approach, eliminating alot of
> on-going work. Obviously, the app would be less portable.

If you want to go with full i18n, even if you don't store
localized messages in database, you will hit the wall sooner or
later if the database is not able to store any string
representing text in any language, because you will want sooner
or later that your users be able to enter localized data in forms
that will end up in the database (their first/last name, etc).

Because of that reason, you need that the database be able to
store and retrieve localized text; a good approach can be to
specify that data is stored in a unicode character encoding;
UTF-8 is typically a good candidate when you have a lot of
latin-based text.

And this is really an issue at the database end. In java, the
Strings can correctly and transparently handle any language. You
just have to make sure that the database driver will correctly
store and retrieve data.

In the application at my company, the (postgres) database is
using UTF-8 and there is really nothing to say here: it works,
there is no problem.

In my opinion, the only issue is really the communication between
the end-user (browser) and your application. Sending data to the
end-user should be ok by using UTF-8 in your webpages, if your
users are not using netscape 2.0 or something. Retrieving data
should be ok by using UTF-8 in your webpages and possibly
specifying accept-charset="UTF-8" in your forms, and filtering
the input to force the CharacterEncoding to UTF-8 (because
browsers usually don't say that the data they send is UTF-8
encoded - there are been many discussions on that topic on this
list).

Please keep us updated about your project; I would be curious to
know about the performance, if you really go to using the
database for localized messages.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau