Interesting answer Craig...

I'm sure we've all heard the admonishment that we should not spawn threads inside a servlet container, the container should be "handling all threading issues". In fact, I think I even remember something about it in the spec, or at least being told there was something about it in the spec :)

I've always felt that "rule" was a bit ambiguous, to say the least...

I agree that the solution outlined here is the typical pattern, but if for no other reason than to foster debate on a potentially interesting point, why isn't this contrary to that usual bit of advice about threading?

The same question arises with daemon threads. For instance I have one app that does some periodic processing, and for various reasons it made the most sense for it to be tied to the app instance. So, when the app starts up, I spawn a couple of daemon threads, set them to low priority, and they do their thing every few hours. I've been told this is also a Bad Thing(tm) within a servlet container, but I've always felt it really wasn't. Certainly I've observed no ill effects to do such a thing.

What I'm really getting to here, and I suspect it would be for the benefit of a great many people reading this, is the simple question, what is actually OK to do with threads in a servlet container and what isn't? Perhaps more importantly, what is the reasoning behind the answers? Any thoughts? (not necessarily just from Craig :) )

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Craig McClanahan wrote:
You're using the typical pattern for this use case (although it's also
feasible you could use something like JMS to accomplish the
asynchronicity).  The most important thing to do, though, is to ensure
that you eventually kill the thread no matter what actually happens,
so that you don't have something needlessly consuming resources for
the remainder of the lifetime of your server instance.

Craig