I see the response from David Friedman on my question in the archive; I'm on the digest so I haven't received the email. I hope its ok that I've replying to my own post, while quoting his response into this:

>From: David G. Friedman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Help with new installation...
>Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:27:21 -0500
>

>Eric,
>
>Are you sure your web.xml taglib directive is in the right place (usually
>about last)? Have you checked your tomcat logs to see if there are any
>
>Regards,
>David

The taglibs are the last set of directives in the file, but are still children of the <web-app> tag.

I am finding something suspicious in my logs now:
Dec 12, 2004 12:12:51 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig applicationWebConfig
INFO: Missing application web.xml, using defaults only StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/JCIB]

However, Tomcat/webapps/JCIB/WEB-INF/web.xml exists and has full read permissions.

I've looked at the Tomcat mailing list archives, it appears that this is a common problem for people on Windows systems with the OS playing games with folding names to lower-case, but reporting upper-case(or something like that) I'm on Mac OS X and I've verified that the WEB-INF directory is fully upper-cased and that the web.xml is fully lowercased.

However, I realize now that this is not a Struts problem, so I'l switch my query to the Tomcat list, unless anyone here has any parting advice?

Thank you for you reply.

Eric