Well the way you dont wish to use would be the normal way to do it :)

The form will be available in the request or session (depending on where you
put the form) scope from the jsp under the form's name.  So
${formName.employeeList} is the list from a JSTL perspective.  From
scriptlet, either:

=((full.package.name.MyForm)request.getAttribute("formName")).getElmployeeLi
st();
or
=((full.package.name.MyForm)session.getAttribute("formName")).getElmployeeLi
st();

Daniel.