<category name="com.wellsFargo.blah">  <!-- or if it's not wellsFargo, whatever
it starts with. -->
          <priority value="debug" />
</category>

Everything else to error.

I know with the properties version you can set the default priority.  Sounds
like your default priority is debug.
I use BeanUtils, and log4j.  This is my setup using the properties:
log4j.rootLogger=INFO, console
log4j.appender.console=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.console.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.console.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c.%m%n

log4j.logger.com.sssc=DEBUG
This last line sets everything in debug mode, while the log4j.rootLogger
defaults everything to INFO level.
I don't know how to convert this to XML for you though.....