On Thu, December 23, 2004 9:49 am, Paul McCulloch said:
> Frank,
>
> Although your solution would work I'd be apprehensive about any solution
> which involves doing anything manually at the start of each action. I'd
> suggest that anything that needs to happen for each & every action is
> better
> suited to a modified RequestProcessor, or a Filter.

I couldn't agree more.  I was just outlining what I had done in one particular
situation.  There were reasons for doing it that way at the time, mostly
because we were in a rapidly-changing envirinment and weren't sure what the
final environment would look like, so we didn't want to do anything that might
tie us to a particular server environment.  Plus, we weren't up to a servlet
spec that allowed filters, so it didn't matter anyway :)

Bottom-line: your 100% right, a filter is I think the "right" answer for such a
thing.

> As you want to deal with all requests - not just actions, I'd suggest that
> Filter would be the way to go.

Bingo :)  Absolutely agreed.

> My apologies if I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs :-)

Not at all!  If I didn't know about filters or hadn't thought of it you would
have done me a service informing me, so it's all good as far as I'm concerned :)