<snip>
a rather puritanical approach
</snip>

Yes, that about sums it up.

Im rather of the opinion that all the struts html tags should have some kind of generic mechanism to allow you to specify any non-standard attributes you want. Perhaps something like:

Though that would have problems with those that have body content.
hmm... :-(

Though

Flemming G. Jensen wrote:

Hi List,

First: I wish you all will have a happy 2005 with a lot of good Struts based applications!

Now my question:

The Struts html-tag library does not support the autocomplete property.

Why not? I know that the autocomplete property is not in the W3Org standard, but that
does not mean it is un-important to web-applications with on-line payments.

The autocomplete property is an IE extension, but Opera and Firefox support it. However,
Firefox 1.0 has a bug in its implementation, which you have to circumvent in a javascript in order to
make it work properly, if you do not have the time to extend the Struts html-tag lib.

I am asking this question due to these facts:

Our team has just gone live with a Struts based web-application http://www.fisketegn.dk. The
site runs on an Oracle Application Server and an Oracle Database. The customer is a department
under the Danish Ministry of Food and Agriculture. On the site persons as well as certified shops
can buy a public fishing license, since you have to buy a license in order to angle in the sea, lakes or streams
in Denmark.

Many people, for example turists, buy their licenses in shops, where many people have access to the same PC.
So it was a customer demand to the application that we turned off the autocomplete function in html input fields, which
take care of any login or payment functionality.

In this case we were not happy to discover that the Struts developers have taken a rather puritanical approach to standards.

So I hope you will improve this great API with better properties support in future releases.

Regards

Flemming G. Jensen