PHP is more productive than J2EE becuase you start w/ exisiting working code, ex:
http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=139
and modify it.

(unless you do RiA, where JDNC rules!)
.V

Erik Weber wrote:

Good morning. I need some advice. I have a friend who wants me to build his personal site. He is an artist and wants to put together an online portfolio. At first I was going to steer him toward finding a PHP programmer. But, with companies such as lunarpages now offering $8 hosting rates, I think that JSP is a good solution for him (why else would you choose PHP besides price?).

The catch (for me) is, he wants to make some of his work available for online purchase. Merchant accounts, gateways, etc., is all new territory for me. I gather that there are two basic approaches for enabling commerce. The first is to use a complete third-party solution. Users are redirected to a third-party "store" site when it's time to buy. I want to avoid this approach if I can, but it could be OK as a temporary solution to get going I suppose. The second approach is to use your own solution. I break this approach into two sub-approaches. One is to implement from scratch. The other is to use some "boxed" commerce solution (there seem to be a ton of these in the PHP world), that works under the guise of your own site. I think this final approach is the one I like the best. Please correct me if I don't have this straight. I realize that there are two basic parts of a commerce solution. One is the "shopping cart" or site functionality (something I wouldn't mind implementing if necessary), the other is the commerce service (one I would rather not try to implement unless it's a lot easier than I think). In addition, I see that there are enabling services such as merchant accounts, credit card gateways, etc.

I could use your advice. Are there any good "boxed" JSP solutions you know of that I could use to get something going quickly? Do you know of any good (JSP-relevant) tutorials on this matter? I know my friend wants to start by allowing credit card purchases, but he also likes the idea of accepting PayPal and the like.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Erik

-- RiA-SoA w/JDNC <http://www.SandraSF.com> forums - help develop a community My blog <http://www.sandrasf.com/adminBlog>