From: "Wendy Smoak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Attributes, Parameter or Class
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 13:14:55 -0700

From: "Jim Douglas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
And then, from your Action, you would use the code Jack suggested, plus change your method call:

Must it be from an Actioon? Does this mean that you can't use that code above from a within a tiles contrloller, specifically the session.getAttribute()?

No! That's the whole point-- your DAO class can be called from anywhere. That's why it shouldn't know about a 'session' or a 'request'. Likewise it shouldn't be tied to any other class "above" it. The DAO class only knows its job and where to get the data. (As a layer it sits below the application and above the database.) It doesn't care where the call is coming from, it just receives a userId and returns whatever it's supposed to return to whoever called it.

And the flip side is that your Action or Tiles Controller (or command line or Swing app) doesn't know what kind of database you have, or even if there IS a database. It just makes a DAO object, calls the method, and uses the returned object however it intends to.

HTH,
Wendy Smoak