To: "Struts Users List" <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 10:22 AM
Subject: commons-chain problems

I am trying to use commons-chain on my project but I have some problems loading the chain-config.xml... does anyone setup a web application with commons-chain (ChainListener)?

 If I specify org.apache.commons.chain.CONFIG_ATTR on my web.xml the
catalog is no longer null but it does not contain any commands.

 I have looked at the source code severall times and I don't know where is
the problem. Help?

I have appended a logger to commons-chain and commons-digester... here are
the results :

** commons-chain log

15:46:17,970 - INFO org.apache.commons.chain.web.ChainListener -
Initializing chain listener
15:46:18,050 - DEBUG org.apache.commons.chain.web.ChainResources - Loading
chain config resource 'chain-config.xml'

** commons-digester log

does not provide any information about commons-chain parse operation (?)

My configuration :

** chain-config.xml (that is being copied to the WEB-INF/classes)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<catalogs>

   <catalog name="risks">

<command name="viewRiskTypes" className="package.commands.ViewRiskTypes"/>

   </catalog>

</catalogs>

** web.xml (Tomcat-5.0.27)

<context-param>
   <param-name>org.apache.commons.chain.CONFIG_CLASS_RESOURCE</param-name>
   <param-value>chain-config.xml</param-value>
</context-param>

<listener>
  <listener-class>
    org.apache.commons.chain.web.ChainListener
  </listener-class>
</listener>

Pedro Salgado