On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:22:23 -0600, Dave Bender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm having a problem passing a set of checkbox values from an ActionForm to
> our database.  When I transfer the values of the String[] array, such as a
> String[5] array, using BeanUtils.populate in my Action, the array gets
> truncated and comes out as a single String value, actually a String[1].
>
> What's up with that?!
>
> Is BeanUtils.populate() able to work with String[] arrays?   If so, is there
> a known bug in my particular version?  (How can I tell what version of
> BeanUtils I'm working with?  It's bundled with Struts 1.1 and I can't seem
> to match the source code versions.)
>
> If BeanUtils.populate is not able to work with String[] arrays, how do folks
> deal with transferring checkbox-style data from a Web page, through an
> ActionForm to a database?
>
> To chase down this problem, I wrote a simple test case that pulls up one of
> our Document objects, creates a DocumentForm (an ActionForm), populates it
> from the document and sees if their "selectedUserGroups" values are
> different.  They are.  Here's the gist of it:
>
>    Document document = new Document(cn, 10);
>    SearchForm searchForm = new SearchForm();
>    Map map = BeanUtils.describe(document);

Please take a look at

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/beanutils/apidocs/org/apache/commons/beanutils/BeanUtilsBean.html#describe(java.lang.Object)

The "map" contains the toString converted property values.
ConvertUtils.convert(String[]) is called and it returns the first
value in the array.

>    BeanUtils.populate(searchForm, map);
>
> At the first line, document contains a selectedUserGroups property that is a
> String[] array with five values.
> At the third line, map references a HashMap that contains a key for
> selectedUserGroups  that contains a String[] with one value.
>
> How do I get all the values?   Any help would be appreciated.

Use BeanUtils.copyProperties(dest, orig); instead