On 2005-01-24, Larry Meadors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Maybe we are approaching this from the wrong direction. what is
> the problem you are trying to solve?

Perhaps I am. I have an action which retrieves a couple of values
from a database. If the retreival fails, it return some reasonable
default values instead. It is these defaults which I want to be
user configurable, that is, configurable from some initialization
file.

The introspection/set-parameter feature, found in PlugIns, would
solve my problem, but it isn't available for actions, only
actionmappings.

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:09:45 -0600, Eddie Bush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Actions are, effectively, singletons. [...]  This means actions have
>> to be thread-safe, and suggests that the best place to configure
>> things would be in the mapping itself, or some other way (resource
>> bundle, propeties file, singleton, factory).

The action is specialized, it is only responsible for making sure the
values are set in the request's session, so it will not be called
from different actionmappings. Further, as soon as the action have
been instantiated the configurable member variables will be used as
read-only values. So there is no concurrency issue involved.

--
Fredrik Jonson