On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:37:08 -0800 (PST), Norris Shelton
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm trying to ensure that the start date is less than the end
> date.
>
>            <field property="startDate" depends="validwhen">
>                <arg0 key="startDate"/>
>                <var>
>                    <var-name>test</var-name>
>                    <var-value>((endDate > startDate) or (*this*
> == null))</var-value>

ValidWhen does "int" or "String" comparisons only. If the two fields
can be converted to int, then numeric comparison is done otherwise a
String comparison is done (by invoking toString() if property is
different from String).

So, if your startDate and endDate are String of (MM/dd/yyyy) format
then the comparison would be lexicographical and so you might not be
seeing the desired output. Writing a custom validator or overriding
the ActionForm might be the better alternatives