Odd.  It almost seems like "html-el" is mapped to the plain Struts TLD,
and not the Struts-EL TLD.  You didn't give the impression that you
changed the app at all when you ported, so I don't expect that is
likely.

I would definitely trace this in a debugger.  I wonder if WL 9 isn't
correctly utilizing the BeanInfo class of the tag class.  It looks like
it's calling the base class setter method directly, instead of the EL
tag class setter method.  If that's the case, then it's definitely not
using the BeanInfo class.  You'll probably need to pursue this with BEA,
if that's the case.