Use the

 <bean:write

tag, and you could use tiles and put it in your template.

Eric D. Lemle
Senior Programmer / Analyst
Intermountain Health Care
36 South State Street, Suite 1100
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
United States of America (USA)
(801) 442-3688 -- e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 2/9/2005 3:47:19 PM >>>
Hi,

I'm planning my approach to a data driven app that I have to write in
the near future.  I've used struts before in more of a demo-type, proof
of concept scenarios, and am no where near and expert, but now need to
build a production level system.

For a web app that needed to display a username on every screen I was
previously doing it like this:

        HttpSession zCurrentSession = request.getSession(false);
        if (zCurrentSession == null){
                zCurrentSession = request.getSession(true);
            }
        try {
                zUserInfoBn = zUserData.getUserInfo(sEmailAddress);
                        zUserInfoBn.setIsLoggedIn(true);
             }catch (ApplicationException zAppEx){
                  throw zAppEx;  //stubbed out not complete
             }
             zCurrentSession.setAttribute(sUSERINFO_BN, zUserInfoBn);

So I'm hoping I can get some opinions on how to display things like
user information on the screens in an intelligent way.  I'm not sure
where the trade offs are between hitting the DB every time and storing
at the request level, using cookies, or storing it some other way.

Any ideas would be helpful.  I'm in the rare position of being able to
take my time and think out the approach and would love input from people
who've got more experience than me.

My env is linux, tomcat 5.0.28, latest jdk, struts, separate box
running db (sql server 2000 w/ stored procs) on a 2.8ghz xeon box with 1
gig mem.  To start the app shouldnt get more than 50,000 page views a
month.

Thanks
-Brian