From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jeff Beal
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 2:11 PM
To: user@struts.apache.org
Subject: Re: JSP produces invalid XML?

Laurent wrote:

> Of course, I can perfectly understand that in non-XML JSP mode there may
> be glitches in the way the XML is parsed. However, I don't believe it is
> acceptable to output something that isn't XML when you've explicitly
> demanded to have XML. (For example, Mozilla-based browsers refuse to
> display the page and show an "XML Parsing Error" instead (when an XML
> mime-type is used).)

I just scanned the JSP Document specification (From JSP 1.2), and I
didn't see anything in there to indicate that JSP Documents have
anything to do with *outputting* XML.  It seems that they are only an
XML-compliant way to author the JSP page.  Section 5.1 ("Uses for XML
Syntax for JSP Pages") makes no mention of "using JSP to generate XML".
  Section 5.2.1 begins with "The semantic model of a JSP document is
unchanged from that of a JSP page in JSP syntax."  Taken with the rest
of what I read, it seems that a '.jspx' file is just using a different
kind of syntactic sugar to pass instructions to the JSP compiler.  I
don't see any indication that the compiled Java class will make any
assumputions about what kind of content you will be generating.

I agree that it seems silly to have to double-escape all of your XML
entities, but it seems that you do.

-- Jeff