from Mailing LIST recipient

If you people are going to argue, please send it to each other, some of
us are glad its Friday and
don't give two hoots about a scriplet debate.

Eric D. Lemle
Senior Programmer / Analyst
Intermountain Health Care
36 South State Street, Suite 1100
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
United States of America (USA)
(801) 442-3688 -- e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:24:33 -0500 (EST), <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes Larry, I got that you think it's *CRAZY* *BAD* advice after the
THIRD
> eMail came through to me.

Hmm, I only sent it twice (once for each of the emails I got from
you).

Odd.

> It wasn't advice first of all, it was one possible alternative.
Should we
> hide ways of doing things from people simply because we don't believe
they
> are the best approach, or even because they are generally regarded as
bad
> ideas?  I'd hope you would say we shouldn't.

OK, it was an alternative, but he also could just open his page with
<%, end it with %>, and use response.write() to send output. That too
would be an alternative, but I think every reputable JSP developer
would say it is not really a good way to develop web applications.

> Your adamant response indicates closed-mindedness, which is never a
good
> thing.  I absolutely have no problem with you saying that most
people
> would say that scriplets aren't the way to go.  *I* would agree with
that,
> and I am not a fan of taglibs.  Still, I certainly see the argument
for
> avoiding scriplets and I agree with it.

Adamant? Umm, OK, I guess I must have mis-worded my email. I do not
think I said "never user scriptlets".

What I was trying to say was that they are *not* the first choice of
*any* web developer I know, and IMO, should not be the *first* thing
suggested to a new JSP developer.

> And wouldn't you agree that a thorough understanding of all the
> alternatives will allow a person to make a better decision for
themselves?
>  Instead of simply saying something is a bad approach, isn't it
better to
> show all the paths one could take and have them ON THEIR OWN come to
the
> conclusion that one path is probably better than the other?  I would
argue
> that simply declaring one way to be bad without giving someone the
> knowledge about it so they can SEE FOR THEMSELVES why it's bad is
WORSE
> than them using that option.

So, should we allow people to poke their eyes out to learn that it is
a bad idea?

Sometimes, I think it is our responsibility to provide guidance to new
developers.

> Besides all that, declaring it to be bad to NEVER use a tool is
limiting
> and ultimately worse in my book.  There may indeed be cases where
> scriplets are a better choice than taglibs, and it would be foolish
in my
> opinion to disount the option out-of-hand.

I partially agree. There are cases where scriptlets are required (I
cannot think of one right now, but I am sure they exist). I do *not*
agree that it is foolish to disount the option..it is a bad idea
unless absolutely required (which in the examples provided, it clearly
was not).

> No personal offense taken by the way, but I do think the
closed-mindedness
> of your premise is kind of offensive on a technical level, if you can
see
> the distinction :)

Heheh, I am glad I did not offend you.

Larry