Now I feel like I have to reply to anyone that falls on the side of IDEs
and tools :)  I really don't have to, but I'm an a***ole like that :)

You, and Brian as well, certainly make fair points.  It is certainly fair
as well though to say that different people learn better in different
ways.  I for one don't feel like I have a degree of comfort with a new
technology until I've really gone into at as close to the lowest possible
level and messed around.

For instance, although I had build a number of Struts-based applications,
at least two of which would be considered large and complex by most
people, and while those experiences allowed me to become a recognized
expert in Struts here at work, I didn't really feel like I knew what was
going on until I did my Struts Web Services project because only then did
I really tear into it and really try to understand why everything was the
way it was.  That being said, there are plenty of people out there who
will never get into it to that degree and yet will still be perfectly
capable Struts developers, even exceptionally good Struts developers (and
certainly many of them better than me!)

As I said to Brian, I think the middle ground here is to say that using
any tool for Struts or anything else can be a big helper, whether in the
beginning when learning and certainly later on when you know more, AS LONG
AS you don't allow the tool to do all the work for you.  It's when the
tool says "ok, struts-config.xml had problem X and Y, and I've corrected
them" and you say "ok, great!" without understanding what the problem was,
why it was a problem and how it was resolved.

That's the mindset I would stress people not fall into, and I suspect no
one here would disagree.  I think it's fair to say that can only happen
with IDEs and tools...

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect