I have searched far and wide for an update to this topic but can not
seem to find an actual solution.

Has anyone accomplished this? I know in one thread Ted Husted
mentioned it being possible but had questions about the use case, well
if you're listenening here's my use case.

I am writing a client to a web-service that returns layout information
and field required/data types dynamically. I never know what the
schema will be but I do get the metadata in regards to  what the data
type is and whether the field is required for form submission.

Hope that helps the creative juices out there.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Andrew