I was too fast in responding.  I switched to Tiger (jre 5.0) but still
have the same behavior when I create an image using a Font object.
Did the change to 5.0 solve your companies' problem?

--
The radiance of all the stars does not equal a sixteenth part of the
moon's radiance, likewise, good deeds giving us merit, all these do